Re: [xml] libxml on OS X?

Has anyone had any luck building libxml 2.3.x on OS X?  I was going to
port an application that uses libxml over to OS X, but have hit a wall
with this one.

I've just tried building both 2.3.10 and 2.3.13 on my Mac (Darwin 1.3.7)
with the following arguments to configure:
--without-iconv --disable-corba --without-ftp --without-http --without-debug

The result was a working library, but I do get an error building
gjobread because the right include-path isn't added to the gcc
commandline (the compile breaks on gjobread.c trying to include
libxml/{xmlmemory,parser}.h).

I don't have the time at the moment to debug this :(

*** Warning: inter-library dependencies are not known to be supported.
*** All declared inter-library dependencies are being dropped.
*** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
*** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
*** or is declared to -dlopen it.

It says here it's gonna drop libz from the list of libraries linked against
the libxml library.

gcc -shared -o .libs/libxml2.so.5.13  SAX.lo entities.lo encoding.lo
error.lo parserInternals.lo parser.lo tree.lo hash.lo list.lo xmlIO.lo
xmlmemory.lo uri.lo valid.lo xlink.lo HTMLparser.lo HTMLtree.lo
debugXML.lo xpath.lo xpointer.lo xinclude.lo nanohttp.lo nanoftp.lo
DOCBparser.lo catalog.lo

And here, it doesn't add -lz back (as you point out), resulting in the
missing gz* symbols.

I notice it's trying to compile a shared library, and that might be the
problem: building shared libraries on MacOSX don't work like they do on
other Unix-like OS'es.

Try running configure with '--disable-shared'.

                                                                      robert