Re: [EWMH] _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_AUXILIARY

Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
On 2007-10-19, Russell Shaw <rjshaw netspace net au> wrote:
One advantage of unicode encoding is that every character has the
same meaning independant of any tag things. That makes it easy to
cut and paste multilingual text between applications without any
out-of-band communication of encoding tags. This statelessness
is the most worthwhile advantage IMO. UTF-8 could be considered
a common inter-app encoding protocol, and apps can use whatever
encoding they want internally.

That's up to for individual protocols to specify, or (preferrably)
not specify. A single protocol is in any case easier to ugprade to
a better encoding than a global monoculture. Applications hardly can use whatever encoding they want to use internally if libraries
force a monoculture.

I see what you mean now. That ceased being a problem for me when
i stopped using woeful FOSS stuff and wrote my own. The larger
community still needs better libraries.

The best approach is abstraction, an encoding
blackbox, but such a fundamental tenet of good software design
tends to not be appreciated these days, because any possibility for
alternatives is a big no-no. Megalomaniac rigid and bureaucratic
structures are in.