Re: Review: FULLSCREEN_MONITORS Hint

On Wednesday 28 of November 2007, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 12:33:31AM -0800, David Trowbridge wrote:
> > This is fine for the plain old xinerama way of doing things where
> > monitors are arranged via "LeftOf" and the like.  It doesn't cope at all
> > with the complexities
> > introduced by the new RandR hotness (which basically lets you put a
> > monitor anywhere on the framebuffer that you like).
>
> I don't understand how anything anyone has talked about can deal in
> a sensible way with arbitrary arrangements of monitors on the
> frame-buffer -- in fact, I don't even know what basic things like
> the existing _NET_FULLSCREEN would mean in this case.
>
> Do you have a plan that handles these complexities?  Could you
> elaborate on it?

 That'a very good point. I myself don't see how one could reasonably handle
anything that doesn't look like current Xinerama setups, except by simply
ignoring the screens that don't fit. I'm pretty upset by libXinerama on
openSUSE10.3 with Intel now claiming that there are e.g. two screens
1400x1050+0+0 and 1024x768+0+0.

 Which I guess means, unless somebody has some great idea, that we can ignore
all this "RandR hotness".

KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz