Re: Lots of _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN issues ...

> Thu Feb 13 2003, Gerd Knorr wrote:
>
> > xawtv does alot of magic when entering and leaving to fullscreen mode,
> > some of this is gone now.  Just from reading the spec it isn't clear
> > what exactly _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN is supported to do and what
> > happens in certain situations.  Here is a (hopefully complete) list
> > of these problems:
> >
> I've had the same questions/problems with ogle and fullscreen
> As I understand it STATE_FULLSCREEN should maximize the window without
> borders to the current "physical" screen and put it on top,
> unless the window manager is configured otherwise.
>
> >  (4) According to Havoc Pennington _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN implies
> >      _NET_WM_STATE_ABOVE.  Is that true?  The specs don't say something
> >      about this, and it seems not to work.  At least I get complains
> >      from users that the gnome panel is still visible in fullscreen
> >      mode ...

What icewm does about this is:
  - there is no implied ABOVE state (that would be broken IMO).
  - if the window (or any of it's transients) is focused, it will be raised
on top (above taskbar, panel, ...)
  - a soon as the user swiches to another application, or a new one is
started,
    the taskbar/panel will be raised above the fullscreen window (without
changing it's size).

This gives the most reasonable behavior that is also found under windows.

IMO, forcing fullscreen windows to be always on top is really bad idea (I
know mplayer
does it right know, but it really shouldnt).

This should really be added to the spec.

Regards,
Mark