Re: move/resize handling again

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 08:16:06PM +0100, Marko Macek wrote:

> Sorry, I just don't see how this is going to work.
>
> Either the EWMH and/or the ICCCM conflict and one of them (EWMH?) is
> broken, or your window manager is.
>
> A "legacy" mode (ignoring parts of ICCCM and/or EWMH) is unfortunatelly
> not possible since there is no way to identify applications that are not
> ICCCM/EWMH compliant.

Exactly, whenever you have a protocol and various people have
interpreted it in different ways, and you don't have a way to know how
the other end has interpreted it, the only solution is to agree on one
interpretation and then start fixing code. If there were a way to
magically do the right thing, then we would not have a problem, and
would not have any need to clarify the interpretation.

We have icewm, sawfish, metacity, kwin at least all working the same
way now, right? Maybe also blackbox? That's pretty good. GTK also
follows the EWMH interpretation on the client side, and I would expect
that Qt does as well.