Re: Sv: Window Manager configuration utilities

Nathan Clemons <nathan@windsofstorm.net> wrote:

[snip]

> On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > - Why do I have two conflicting places to change the desktop background?
>
> This has been addressed multiple times. We all understand that as is, this
> is a "Bad Thing". What to do about it is under debate, but I think we ALL
> agree that SOMETHING has to be done.

what if there was an atom (or property, or whatever) that described
who is controlling a specific funtionality (desktop background for
example). both the WM and GNOME could either set it or read it.

as long as there is a well defined pecking order (WM has the final
say, for example) the configuration tool for the one which is not in
control could say "hey, sorry, but to set this you will have to use
the window manager's configuration tool. you can try to middle mouse
click on the desktop and see if you can do it from there".

if the if the control center/config tool is a stand-alone app (or at
least launchable from the command line) both could set a property that
would let the other launch it under certain conditions. (the above
blurb would be changed to "... you can click here to launch the
correct config tool").

as long as you can get from one config tool to the other, and it is
clear which is controlling what, having two applications shouldn't be
that big a deal.

I think it is unrealistic to expect wm authors to write control
center'able configuration tools as part of the compliance. and someone
pointed out the problem w/ having outside groups doing it. this method
would be simple to implement on the wm part, and still allow for a
good deal of flexibility.

but, if a wm author decides to do it (write a capplet w/ ipc or
something) then the settings will all be in favor of the configuration
center.

when the normal (stick the distro cd in and click 'install') user is
running things the default control center will "be in charge" (since
both the gnome and the wm would be configured that way). this would of
course depend on the distros preferences...

henri