Re: [Vala] how to pass a List by reference?

On 10/13/11 11:02 PM, "bsquared" <bwcode4u gmail com> wrote:

I am guessing that I'm going about this wrong, but I want to populate a list
from a static method.

     static void populate_list (ref SList<string> list) {
            list.append("");
     }

I am getting a compiler error:
error: Cannot capture reference or output parameter

I want the ownership of the list to belong to the calling method.

What am I doing wrong?

You could use out instead to populate the list:

static void populate_list (out Slist<string> list) {
}

And call this method with:

var list = new Slist<string> ();
populate_list (out list);