[Vala] defining types (analogous to #define Addr ulong )

Is there any way in Vala to define type names equivalent to built-in types?

I have a use case where I'd like to be able to try a particular type, and then later globally change my mind if I had picked the wrong size. But I don't want to change, e.g., all instances of "int", but only those being used for a particular purpose. In C I'd do this with a #define or with a typedef. In D I'd use an alias (typedef being broken the last time I checked). But if Vala has some similar feature, I haven't been able to find it in the docs.