Re: [Vala] Few questions from complete vala begginer

 On 10/08/10 15:47, vml arsis net wrote:
i'm currently testing vala if i could move some of my work done on Mono/c#
to it. but, i couldn't find any definitive information on few topics even
though i studied all documentation available before writing this mail.
even "NO WAY IN HELL" is acceptable answer as i'm just trying to find best
porting methods for some services i wrote. i'd simply adapt to what i can
do, mostly i already have some really ugly workarounds.

are any of these in future plans?
- extension methods
vala is a static language, you cannot add methods to objects at runtime. it takes
no sense, refactoring the code will make this feature unnecessary, can you
provide a example to argue this feature?
- indexer properties
This feature would hide the underlying C code, but nothing limits you to implement a collection class overwriting the hashmap methods or so that would result in the same.
- custom attributes (any kind, even prepending some xml like comment or
anything would do the trick, just so one can specify custom descriptions
in code)
As far as I know this is possible, as long as valac shows no errors, but there's no way to access them from the language, because is something used by the compiler. you cannot introspect this information in runtime. What is the purpose of using it
in your code? why do you need this?
- partial classes
It is already possible to extend the definition of a class in more than one file. It is ugly, but supported, at least for vapis. I never find a reason to use this on .vala files. In this case you can create an abstract class or a base class and extend the functionality
in other .vala files.
partial classes are probably my most needed feature as i auto build a lot
of source parts and auto building them in the same source as code you
write is really hard and unpredictable.

you can use 'cat(1)'. it have a very cool feature:  file concatenation.
Nevertheless any preprocessor like cpp, spp or so will do this task. ti dont know
how you build those sources, but this is usually the way to do it.
as far as attributes go, even making the most basic
[CustomAttribute("Name", value)] parseable in runtime would go well beyond
the scope of really useful feature if only one can prepend it to
class/property
You cannot parse code attribute in runtime, those are just compiler hints.
Vala is not dynamic, so you can't do this unless you do it as class properties or so, code attributes are not translated into C code, you have to refactor the code .. and doing all this stuff dinamic is probably 'cool' , but I didnt find useful
any of the proposed features. They just make the code more slow and hard to
read.

--pancake