Re: [Vala] Hi, Is Vala what I am looking for?

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 11:20 +0200, Orlando José Luque Moraira wrote:
Will Vala be in the future able to compile common c# projects with the
original MS library references? (using other libraries)

Welcome to the list.

It would be possible to write a similar framework library in Vala style,
but there would be little point.  Any C# code would still need to be
ported to use it.  Vala style is a bit different from C# style, and the

Hey, so I understand that a vala file may not be compilable by a C#
compiler, but how about the other way around? (So my question is "is
vala a superset of C#"?)

other major difference is that Vala is not garbage collected.  It uses
"assisted memory management" as opposed to garbage collection.  This
changes the way you have to think about objects in subtle ways.

Let's say we have a piece of code that can be compiled by both Vala and
C# compilers, but it leaks in Vala but not in Mono (because of the GC).
Could that piece of code be 'tweaked' in order to make it not leak in
the Vala case? If yes, we could develop a Gendarme rule that analyzes
the assembly to search for possible leaks that may occur if the source
code is compiled with the vala compiler, right?

Regards,

        Andres