Re: [Vala] Heads-up on upcoming non-null support

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 16:20 -0400, Michel Salim wrote:
On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Jürg Billeter <j bitron ch> wrote:

 Short example:

    public void foo (Bar bar) {
      // bar is expected to be non-null
      // will be enforced at run-time in future Vala versions
    }

    public void foo (Bar? bar) {
      // bar is allowed to be null
    }

 Any questions or comments about this?

Presumably a compile-time check is also performed on return values? e.g.

public Bar foo () {
  return null;
}

should fail.

Yes, that will be the case.

What if the nullity of the value cannot be determined at compile time?
Enforce that the return type must have '?' ?

The compiler will report a warning. If you're sure that it'll always be
non-null, you can add an explicit cast or assert to avoid the warning.
We'll only enable the warnings by default when we have a sensible
non-null analysis and we'll probably also add an option to disable the
warnings.

Jürg