Re: [Vala] gtk-examples

On Son, 2007-03-18 at 11:58 -0700, Kresimir Culin wrote:
Hello,
Does anybody work on gtk-examples port to vala ?
If not,and you are interested in that, I can spare
hour or two.

Nobody is working on that, as far as I know; it would be nice to get
some examples how to use GTK+ from within Vala.

I have couple of questions.

Is the code below "the Vala way"?
Particularly I have doubts regarding var keyword.
 - when and whether to use it.
 - will it be code-completion friendly
 - is it just a shortcut to enable typing var instead
of  Namespace.Class or some day you will encapsulate
GValue into some Variant type, behind the var keyword
?

Vala is a statically typed language and will remain like that; so it's
just a shortcut, it's not planned to support runtime variant types.

var may be used in variable declarations where the type is obvious but
e.g. you don't want to write the type names - possibly including generic
type arguments - twice when creating a new object instance. I don't
recommend usin var for basic types like int or string.

There is nothing speaking against code completion for var variables, in
principle; it will certainly need a more sophisticated code model but
libvala might be able to provide that.

[example]

Looks quite nice, thanks.

Jürg