Re: [Utopia] [patch] mount/unmount when starting/stopping

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 10:45 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 09:42, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> >  4. We no longer listen on the EjectPressed signal from HAL - this
> >     is removed from HAL as only a tiny fraction of drives implement it
>
> I must've missed the discussion on this on the HAL list.  Why should
> this be removed just because many devices dont' support it?  Why cripple
> the devices that do because of ones that don't?  If I go out of my way
> to get hardware that supports (Apple hardware, perhaps?) it should be
> able to work appropriately, yes?

Well, there were some discussion a long time ago on the hal list on how
many drives that supports it and the outcome was that not a long of
drives did.

The rationale for removing this was to reduce the number of codepaths
and use as little of the features of the hardware/driver as possible. If
you remember a few years back there was a bug in an automounter
(supermount IIRC) that broke the firmware of LG drives because some
wellknown MMC command was selected by the vendor of the drive to mean
'upload firmware'.

Apple drives, I dunno, but I note that the eject button on my Powerbook
is actually part of the keyboard. That's pretty clever.

I hope this clarifies.

Cheers,
David