Re: [Usability] question about scrollbars in cheese

On 11 Aug 2008, at 20:40, daniel g. siegel wrote:

see screen1.jpg, there is much place left (where the red marked box is).
if there are enough items in it, scrolling gets activated and it looks
like screen2.jpg (please ignore the other red marks and duplicate
arrows).

now, is it better to show the scrollbar always or to live with the
space?

Well, those screenshots don't really offer a fair comparison, because they doesn't show what the scrollbar would show if there was only thumbnail :) (From the behaviour of other apps, though, I'd assume it shows the scrollbar shaft taking up the full width of the scrollbar...?)

Personally I prefer to see the empty space than an "unscrollable" scrollbar-- it gives you immediate feedback that you're seeing everything that there is to see. In an ideal world, perhaps the visual appearance of a "full" scrollbar would be less intrusive than it is today[1]-- maybe something to think about for gtk 3.0 :)

(As an aside, I'm slightly confused as to why you still have left and right buttons either side of the thumbnail view, in addition to those in the scrollbar? That sends rather mixed messages to the user, perhaps suggesting that they would do different things.,,)

Cheeri,
Calum.

[1] E.g. see attached screenshot from Apple Mail, albeit for a vertical scrollbar--the trough is always shown, so you don't get content jumping around as the bar appears/disappears, but the buttons and shaft are gone so it has far less visual weight than a "full" scrollbar.

mailto:calum benson sun com            GNOME Desktop Team

JPEG image