Re: [Usability] User Shut Down damaged PC

On 3/29/07, Kirk Bridger <kbridger shaw ca> wrote:

Mark Knecht wrote:

> Assuming we have removed shutdown from the desktop environment then
> the two ideas that do work in my mind are:

I had no intentions of suggesting we remove the shutdown command from
the desktop environment.  I had suggested that we could make its
availability configurable for individual user accounts.

Yes. Absolutely. My mistake in the way I wrote it but not in my
understanding of what your suggestion is.

Earlier on I also said that I didn't want to change the way anyone's
current config works for them. My meaning was you can have shut down
if you want it and I can remove it if I don't want it.

I believe we are in violent agreement! ;-)

I don't think
removing shutdown for all of Gnome's users is a good solution here.
That would be removing functionality used by many to help a few.  Make
it something administrators can configure, but the default should be to
present the user with all system options in the dialogue.  Whether or
not we need all the current options is another discussion ;)

Just a caveat on your comment above, I want to ensure my original
comment was clear.

Kirk

Thanks!

- Mark