Re: [Usability] Keyboard

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Dedeco wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:57:20 -0300
> From: Dedeco <dedeco ufmg br>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: [Usability] Keyboard
>
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask, and I am not 100% sure this is the right place, but it
> seems to me from what I have read.
>
> Why doesn't Gnome accept the Super key (or Windows keys) as modifiers of other
> keys to its shortcuts?

since you know it is sometimes also called the super key you are already
well on your way to finding many more answers.

Short answer the reason is largely historical and Gnome could not assume
keyboards would include the super key.

Longer answer search google as follows:
site:mail.gnome.org usability super
and you will find many more discussions touching on the subject

There are probably a few things we could do to make things easier for
those who do have a super key and I dont think a new computer in at least
5 years has shipped without one (depending on your definition of computer)
the only remaining factor is an interested developer submitting patches
good enough to be accepted.

A quick search of bugzilla turns up a fair few requests
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?query=super

--
Alan