Re: [Usability] File Dialog Add/Remove Places Mockup

On Feb 22, 2007, at 2:17 AM, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
The Add button's association with the Places list is clear,
but it's far away from the file/folder list.

I've seen GUIs for comparable things with left and right
pointing arrow buttons between them. GIMPs Additional
Input Controlers (Preferences) is one example, allthough
I wonder if it is really appropiate there.

Anyway:
http://thorwil.affenbande.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/ open_files_buttons_between_01.png

This discussion has been very interesting, but I wonder whether we're overestimating the importance of Places for most people. The pane and associated buttons are making the dialogs look much more complicated than they would be otherwise.

Perhaps we could get away with a small button for Home, a small button for Desktop (not shown if you have home as your desktop), a small button for Computer, and a menubutton for the other places.
                  _  _  _  __
                 [H][D][C][Pv]_________________________
                          |  Add “some folder” to Menu |
                          |  Remove from Menu          |
                          |  # foo                     |
                          |  % bar                     |
                          |  @ hum                     |

(Replace H, D, C, and P with cute icons, of course.:-)

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/