Re: [Usability] online/offline design

Luis Villa wrote:

On 5/19/05, Matthew Thomas <mpt myrealbox com> wrote:
|::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::|
| (-)  Foo could not bar, because there is |
|      no network connection.              |
|                 ( Try Again ) ((  OK  )) |
|__________________________________________|

-- where Foo is the name of the program, and bar-ing is what you just
asked it to do.

Deliberate omission of a link to the network config stuff, or
oversight?

Deliberate.

If the first, why?

I'm *guessing* that having an improperly configured network is only going to be the problem in maybe 5 percent of cases, with the other 95 percent being that it's properly configured but not available -- for example you're not dialled up (which is easily fixed from a panel menu), or your network cable has come loose, or your ISP has fallen over, or you're on a plane. And 5 percent doesn't meet my personal threshold for cluttering an alert with a shortcut button. But as I say, that's only a guess. If it was more like 40 percent, then include a "Network Setup..." button leftmost.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/