Re: [Usability] online/offline design

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 16:18 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

> For dial-up users the obvious thing to do is ask them to connect to the
> Internet.  They should probably only be automatically asked once per
> session and be expecated to manually request a connection otherwise.

There are also cases where failing (more or less) silently is preferable
too, of course... I'm sure we've all been annoyed by mail programs that
pop up alerts during their periodic background checks to tell us that
they can't connect to the mail server, when we really couldn't care
less.  All depends on the context, as you say.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group