Re: [Usability] nautilus, panel, and metacity not acting as if the desktop was a single entity

> The idea that icons should be only in a single place on the
> desktop, not always in all workspaces, seems to me to be sensible.

In terms of consistancy, yes, it would appear to make sense.
Usability-wise, maybe less so.

I mean, if you have only certain icons on certain desktops, you have
to know which desktop you left that icon on. This means you have to
change workspace to get to an icon too, so it ends up being quicker to
use the Applications menu to launch apps. This makes the desktop
pretty much useless for accessing programs quickly, which is what most
users actually use it for!

Then what if you store files on the desktop temporarily, now & again?
Can you imagine how frustrating it would get to keep having to switch
workspace trying to find the file, especially if you have more than
four workspaces?

I just can't see this benefitting many users, rather hindering their
workflow. I think the problem of 'task-related object presentation'
can be tackled in a much better way.

>> For example, I'd like to have my nautilus audio icon on the workspace
>> where all my audio apps reside but my nautilus email icon on the workspace
>> where all my office tools reside.

If you have audio apps open on a workspace, why not have dashboard or
similar bringing up relevant apps & files? Much faster & much more
data can be presented, not just launchers. It's done (mostly)
automagically too, so users don't have to bother setting things up
themselves, structuring workspaces, dragging icons around etc etc.

How does that sound?

--
Phil Bull
philbull.tk