Re: [Usability] spatial nautilus concerns, revisited

David,

On Thu, 5 May 2005, David Feldman wrote:

http://interfacethis.com/pub/index.php?itemid=56

I fear I may get flamed out of existence for it but would like to know what other people think of my perspective.

Thanks for the article. Though I'm an outspoken supporter of the spatial paradigm - I do agree that the current implementation in Nautilus isn't perfect yet.

My own observations confirm that many users, under windows at least, tend to prefer working with one window (maximized) at a time. So I'm not advocating a 'many windows on the screen'-approach, but I don't think that makes the navigational way a better solution automatically.

A part of the problem is that some people try to use 'spatial' in a 'navigational' way. Making folder bookmarks or shortcuts to often-accessed things, a more spatial approach, can reduce the screen clutter significantly.

You note that users organize older stuff hierarchically. But has it occured to you that this might be caused by the desire to work more efficiently with a navigational file manager? It doesn't _have_ to be the 'natural' way of doing things (for some peope that may be the case, depending on their "way of thinking"). Furthermore I feel that "organizing" files hierarchically is not something the user should be bothered with. We're not there yet, but ideally, retrieving users' information should be taken care of completely by the computer.

[1] having used a spatial interface for years in the OS/2 Workplace Shell, which might deserve a mention in your article :)

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen