Re: [Usability] Sound Juicer 2 mockup comments

Hey Ross ~

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 14:29 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> At the top there are the disc title and artist labels.

Is there a possibility of getting the album image in here?  Just a
question really.

> Then there is a
> listview of the tracks, showing the number/name/artist/duration of each.

Do the checkboxes affect what songs are played as well as extracted?
It's almost confusing, like you'd want the checkboxes to show up when
you enter the "rip mode".  Don't know if that would be much better
though.

> Next there is a location bar showing the current position in the song
> (if playing),

Not sure where to put it, but a time (1:00 of 3:43) display might be
nice.

> and then the buttons (Previous / Play / Next / Edit / Copy
> | Volume).

I would probably drop the Edit button, this isn't something people need
to do every time they extract or play a CD so a toolbar button seems
unnecessary.  Then I'd leave some of the empty space between the copy
and next button.

> I was planning on having the play button double as a pause
> button, but I understand the HIG advises against this.

I don't want this to start into a Stop/Pause/Play discussion like what
was had on the list before, but accessibility gets messed up by having
the buttons change on click (from play to pause) the way to get around
this issue is to have your play button be a toggle button.   People
understand when the play button toggles down that the way to stop/pause
play will be to untoggle the button and the button never changes it's
value.  I've planned on putting this into HIG recommendations, but I
need to catch up with calum for a little discussion before writing it
in.  I'd recommend this for Totem as well Bastien ;-)

> Currently SJ displays a dialog when it is copying a CD -- it would be
> possible to replace it in this design with the "copying" icon in the
> list view (see track 4), and the time slider possibly showing in-track
> progress.

I thought Bastien's idea of progress within each cell was excellent, but
I can see that if each track takes a very short time this wouldn't be
worthwhile.

The time slider would probably need to be converted into a progress
meter for overall progress and show some text information in it as well.
I'm assuming that you can't grab the slider and change things while
you're ripping the tracks.

Cheers,
~ Bryan