Re: [Usability]Abstracting the Linux desktop

On 2002.12.12 12:57:38 +0000 Joshua Adam Ginsberg wrote:
Not to contradict the strength of your "Eeeeeehhh !! Wrong !!", but I
think there is much wrong with the *nix filesystem. The /home tree is a
great idea, and probably the best thing about the filesystem, but it has
much wrong with it usability wise from there... the /dev tree, while
outstanding from the CLI and the development standpoint, ***SUCKS***
from a usability standpoint... the old convention of local vs. share is

should TheUser (as discussed here :)) even know about it ? /dev is admin
domain, not "usability" domain so saying it sucks is basicly flawed.

inconsistently applied, resulting in two separate trees for libraries,
binaries, includes, etc... and even within the home directory, the

not so. it's not local vs share, it's what we need to boot vs everything
else. it allows partitions.

flooding of it with hidden .files and even configuration folders that
aren't hidden makes it nearly impossible to use the home directory as
the base for a desktop environment...

i use my home directory as desktop. it's very possible.

So while I too am not thrilled with the "My Computer" idea, I think
GNOME captured the spirit of it without having to specify anything about
the physical machine... it's really a "Start Here" point... I like
Anders suggestions about expanding and centralizing the start here
section in Nautilus...

Here I agree, it's got enough "start here" :)

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds