Re: [Usability]No HIG maintainer?

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 16:56, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 04:09:46PM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Shouldn't we just tell them to use the default, then later change the
> > default in GTK+?
>
> That would probably be ideal, but I think the stuff Gregory came up
> with (just set frame style to none, make the title bold, and indent 12
> pixels via either a vbox hack or padding all around the inside of the
> frame) is pretty easy to implement for apps using Glade, and for this
> type of dialog pretty much everything is using Glade. So I don't think
> it's terrible to go ahead and implement it. I did it quickly and
> easily in gnome-terminal for example.

My logic was
a) There should be a widget for this "categorisation" of child widgets,
and GtkFrame has been that widget until the HIG said otherwise.
b) GtkFrame can be made HIG-perfect easily, and we seem to expect that
for GTK+ 2.4. So let's just use the defaults now for simplicity's sake
and benefit from automatic HIG-ization in future.
c) People are still debating parts of the HIG, such as border spacing.
If the HIG is embodied in the GTK+ defaults, and if everyone uses the
GTK+ defaults, then changes in the HIG can be inherited automatically by
applications. That's less work.

This does delay HIG-ization until GNOME 2.4. But then again, for UIs in
GNOME 2.2 itself, we hit UI freeze before we could HIG-ize much anyway.

--
Murray Cumming
murray usa net