Re: [Usability]No HIG maintainer?

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 04:09:46PM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> Shouldn't we just tell them to use the default, then later change the
> default in GTK+?

That would probably be ideal, but I think the stuff Gregory came up
with (just set frame style to none, make the title bold, and indent 12
pixels via either a vbox hack or padding all around the inside of the
frame) is pretty easy to implement for apps using Glade, and for this
type of dialog pretty much everything is using Glade. So I don't think
it's terrible to go ahead and implement it. I did it quickly and
easily in gnome-terminal for example.

There's no essential reason you have to use a frame here, it also
works to just have a bold label followed by some stuff.

The HIG really should be specifying the end result (bold label, 12
pixels, etc.) the part about which GTK widgets to use is just a hint,
though we do want to avoid things that are just flat-out too hard to
implement, and try to make GTK get it right by default.  i.e. the HIG
should have some idea in its head that you can implement the HIG using
another toolkit, or in weird ways using GTK where the usual widgets
just don't work out.

What I'm saying is, the HIG should not specify "you must use GtkFrame
and respect whatever the theme says about frames" I don't think, I
would say the HIG should actually specify the padding, frame etch
style, and label weight. As it does.

FWIW I'm not sure you will convince Owen to change the GtkFrame
defaults (and I think he'll have a good argument), because it's an
incompatible change. However what you might convince him to do is to
make the defaults some kind of theme property. But I'm just
speculating here, maybe he'll change it.

Havoc