Re: [IMPORTANT] Questionaire on GTK+

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 10:22:55 +0200, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> in order to give users best support as possible Sawfish 1.7.0 gets extended support time
> (compared to 1.5/1.6). So there's a small set of questions I would like you to answer:
>
> a) Do you use a distribution or do you use something like LFS (Linux From Scratch)?

Gentoo. When I install a git version of Sawfish, I go distro-way, so
that they can be un- / re-installed easily. So I don't use raw
/configure --prefix=/xyz... (And it's easier for me to configure for
amd64 mutlilib.)

> b) How long will you stay using GTK+2 in favour of GTK+3?
> c) Do you plan to move to GTK+3? Or do you plan to install
>    GTK+3 besides GTK+2 (of course possible)?

Like others, but in the first place, I don't know if I you have to
choose one of Gtks 2 and 3; Gtks 1 & 2 can coexist. (You mean it's
possible?)

More precisely,
1. If I weren't developing Sawfish, I'd install gtk3 only when
   applications I need begin to require it.
2. Gentoo's package classification is, from the riskiest, "masked",
   "testing", and "stable".
   I may install gtk3 when Chris asks even if it's still masked, but
   if it will interfere with other applications which rely on gtk - I
   mean, if their configure scripts choose gtk3 - then I hesitate.
   I don't think I can follow Gentoo dev discussion, and I'd like
   it out-of-box. (In gentoo, there's no binary package, and you have
   to compile almost all.)
3. I'm not keen on using latest version sofwares, except security is
   vital, like web browser. I never try "masked" packages, and only a
   few of "testing".

> d) Do you use XFree86 or X.Org?

Xorg.

> g) Do you have a machine with less than 64 MB Ram or
>    less than 500 MHz CPU?

No.

Teika (Teika kazura)