Re: Window placement hack...

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:40:24 -0500, Jack McKinney wrote:
> I want to write a script that forces all new windows into the first
> screen.

(add-hook 'place-window-hook your-function t) does.
The last `t' ensures that your-function is called after the window is
placed by Sawfish.

> However, I want to treat [two monitors] as "4x3x3+1".  I.e., I want
> anything I move to the second monitor to automatically become
> sticky, and anything I move to the first monitor to become unsticky.

"Per monitor workspace / viewport" is in fact requested by some, and
at least "workspace" is sensible, but what you said above is a
realistic solution; we're understaffed. I.e. sticky + viewport-sticky
does it. (I don't understand RandR / Xinerama well.)

If you move windows by mouse dragging, then write a function
jack-move-window which is a wrapper of `move-window-interactively'.
After move-window-interactively returns, read the mouse pointer
position, and call (make-window-sticky w) or (make-window-unsticky w).
Then assign jack-move-window to Button1-Move in `window-keymap' by
configurator GUI.

See also wiki page "Proposed goals" and "Long term todos".

Feel free to ask more.

Regards,
Teika (Teika kazura)