Re: [Patch] apps-menu filtering

Am Sun, 12 Sep 2010 09:51:09 -0600
schrieb Matthew Love <matth love gmail com>:

> Matthew Love <matth love gmail com> writes:
>
> > Christopher Roy Bratusek <zanghar freenet de> writes:
> >
> >> Sadly no.
> >>
> >> I've attached an tarball with all my .desktop files.
> >>
> >> Chris
> >>

> > Thanks, I think I found the problem.  The new associate-categories would
> > return nil if the the categories described in the desktop files did not
> > associate, which led to a string-match error down the road (in a
> > string-split call), the categories are now double-checked after being
> > associated and will go to Exile if there is not a value in the desktop
> > entry. Should work fine now in that respect.
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Ok, I think this is a better patch for it, instead of double-checking
> the results of associate-categories, it now will return the original
> categories instead of nil, so it wont be exiled, it will just show up in
> the menu under the category it has mentioned.  This can of course be
> filtered to go into any category one wishes.

It's working now. With one exception: the Development and Desktop Sub-Menus include stuff
that definitively does not belong there. For example Flush (Bittorent-Client) in
Development menu, or GCue2Tracks (Cue Splitter) is in Development. (You already got
my .desktop files, so you might check on them). And there's now a "Core" Sub-menu,
containing NetworkManager.

It's technically working, but from the user-side it's not yet perfect. Basically without
any user-setting it should display a menu similar to the one it did before.

You might check the logics XFCE, KDE or GNOME are using to retrieve the category. I bet
there's something like a priority list (say Audio > Media > GNOME > GTK or something).

Regards,