Re: [README] Sawfish 2.90 branched

Am Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:24:00 +0900 (JST)
schrieb Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com>:

> On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 16:10:09 +0200, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > Yesterday I created the "sawfish-2.90" branch. Which will go HEAD
> > after a while and will lead to Sawfish 3.0
>
> Isn't it too early? Without gtk+3, there's no reason to call it
> Sawfish-3. Renaming of modules happens definitely sometime, so I'd say
> it's ok in 1.7.1, or at least 1.8.0 suffices.

It's not. It introduces incompatible changes (more than just module renaming), which are
to be avoided in the stable branch.

Besides there won't be a 1.8x -- 1.7x is supported until at least 3.0

Also I choose 2.90 to indicate that it's very early.

> If we're to have both 2.90 and 1.7, then we have to decide into which
> branch should go new edits. For example, I can soon push Emacs
> sawfish.el, a minor bug fix of kde.jl, and new quote-event. It's good
> have them sooner (say next Feb), but in order to do so, they have to
> go 1.7. Sawfish-3 release is not close.

Fixes of course go into both, for the new quote-event it depends on whether it introduces
incompatibilities.

> I don't think edge is so much difficult (neither 3-day hack of
> course), so doing in 1.7, or a topic branch is enough. Since we
> don't release 1.7.1 soon, it's ok if it takes longer than we presume
> now.
>
> A "topic branch" is e.g. "a branch for openGL hack only". (When it's
> done, "git rebase" there, and "git merge topic-a" in master.)
> Topic branches are better than big one 2.90, since it's easier to see
> the status (diff, what's ok to ship and what's not, etc), and they can
> be merged one by one to the master.

topic branches are of course OK. If it will land in 1.7x, if not it's done directly in 2.90.