Re: To sawfish from metacity?

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 19:35:53 -0500 (CDT)
wrote Dale Huckeby <spock evansville net>:

>Since I don't know of a sawfish for dummies list I hope this one isn't too
>inappropriate for my questions. I used sawfish before gnome dropped it (when
>it was still sawmill, I think) and liked it, but haven't been able to use it
>since. I recently decided to make another effort, but so far no joy. I've
>been opening a terminal window and issuing the command:
>: killall metacity; sleep 2; sawfish &
>but it doesn't seem to change anything. If I close that terminal window I
>lose my panel as well as the close, maximize and minimize buttons on the
>windows of any apps I open. In fact, I lose the ability to do anything at
>all and end up having to do a Ctl-Alt-Backspace into a reboot, at which
>point I'm right back in metacity. I hope I'm not imposing but i wonder if
>anybody can give me some idea as to how to get rid of metacity (tenacity?)
>and replace it with sawfish in gnome as my window manager?
>
>TIA,
>Dale Huckeby (frustrated end-user)

Hi,

If you use gnome >= 2.24 open gconf-editor. Then desktop -> gnome ->
session -> required_components and replace metacity with sawfish
by windowmanager and restart gnome session. Good luck.

--
Regards,
Fuchur

GPG Fingerprint: CA3B 8204 5B3E 6D48 6D53  C116 E5BC 70D5 B8D7 B2B0