Re: {IMPORTANT] README, Sawfish 1.6.0

On Saturday 14 November 2009 09:02:59 Janek Kozicki wrote:
> I'm pondering whether simply *deleting* completely this error_handler
> would fix the problem? I think that maybe we don't need it at all,
> because when a window gets an error and X closes it, it is sending
>  also a standard event about "This window is closed by X now, Event".

It may take some time before Sawfish processes that event.  In the
meanwhile the window would appear to exist.  Using the error handler
should provide earlier detection, although it is not guaranteed to be
immediate either, because Xlib buffers requests that do not return
information.

> I'm pondering that maybe error handler tries to be "faster in closing
> windows" than really necessary.

Faster in detecting windows having been closed by someone else.  Other
window managers that I have checked do not seem to use this trick,
relying only on DestroyNotify events.  I don't know why using the error
handler for this was considered necessary in Sawfish.

--
	Timo Korvola		<URL:http://www.iki.fi/tkorvola>