Re: error--> (error "unknown font type" "Xft")

From: Teika Kazura <teika lavabit com>
Subject: Re: error--> (error "unknown font type" "Xft")
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:32:01 +0900 (JST)

> Let me confirm: (1) Does sawfish run? You're just annoyed by the
> message? Or it breaks? (2) Does it print: "can't load default font
> during initialisation" ?

No, it does not run. It prints the message and there is no window
manager running. I have to revert to a different window manager.

The only message displayed on stdout/stderr is:

error--> (error "unknown font type" "Xft")

Then I'm back to my bash prompt.

> I guess 'NO' for #2, because xlfd is available. If sawfish doesn't
> start, there may be other cause.
>
> Your first analysis was more informative than the second (sorry).
> It's src/fonts.c, 'void fonts_init()'. There 'get_font_typed' is
> called twice.  The first call tries "xft". If get_font_typed can't
> find the font type, error is signaled, and this is the case. But it
> comes back and continues, and the next call is done, which now tries
> "xlfd". Because it comes back, it runs, no?

Unfortunately not.

> Librep manual says that if an error is not handled, then it goes back
> to innermost input loop. But in our case, signal is sent during the
> initialization. What happens?

It seem to terminate. Is the cause of this behavior a missing error
handler at the top level?

Petter