Re: Problems after installing sawfish 1.6.0

Am Sun, 27 Dec 2009 21:03:58 -0600
schrieb Jeremy Hankins <nowan nowan org>:
[...]
> Hmm..  Given my extreme ignorance wrt X and gnome, can someone either
> help out with this or give me some pointers on how gnome-pager is
> getting its data?  Is gnome-pager getting its window-position info
> directly from X, or is it getting it from the wm somehow?  Sawfish
> pager gets its data by running lisp code to get position data, and I
> can change that to have it send correct position information.
>
> The problem is that the position of windows outside of the current
> workspace isn't adjusted when the vp is shifted, so their position
> always remains the same with respect to the current viewport.  I can
> either go back to having viewport.jl shift the position of windows
> outside of the current workspace when shifting vp (which will be
> tricky to make work with dynamic viewports) or I can adjust the data
> that's sent to the pager.
>
> So I'll look around to see if I can figure out where gnome-pager gets
> its data, but pointers would be appreciated....

In the past there was no problem with gnome-panel, so I was astonished
that the problem was with gnome-panel too. Unfortunately I've no
knowledge with the internas of GNOME.

[...]
> Honestly, this doesn't really sound like something that sawfish could
> have caused.  You're running the emacs daemon yourself via a terminal,
> right?  And you're not using screen or anything like that where you
> might have a shell that was started outside of X?  So the shell that
> starts the emacs daemon has the DISPLAY set?
>
> You may be interested, btw, in checking out emacs.jl in the scripts
> collection on the sawfish wiki.  That's what I use to start the emacs
> daemon and run emacsclient, via sawfish bindings.

Your right that I start the daemon from a terminal. But as I said the
problem has gone. As to emacs.jl I'll give it a try.

Gerhard Kirchmann <gerhardkmn yahoo de>