Re: Problems after installing sawfish 1.6.0

Am Sat, 26 Dec 2009 17:19:57 +0100
schrieb Christopher Roy Bratusek <zanghar freenet de>:

> Am Sat, 26 Dec 2009 13:53:02 +0100
> schrieb Gerhard Kirchmann <gerhardkmn yahoo de>:

[...]
> > Fourth, there are some problems with emacs. With emacs 23.1 you can
> > use a daemon. Since sawfish 1.6.0 i've to give the --display option
> > explicitly, otherwise the daemon complains about the display
> > although the $DISPLAY environment variable contains the correct
> > value. This wasn't the case with sawfish 1.5.3 and previous
> > versions. But this took me some time to find it out.
>
> I never had that issue, but I'll check it.

As I said to Jeremy Hankins response, the problem doesn't show with
gnome 2.28 under openSUSE 11.2, whereas in openSUSE 11.1 with an older
gnome the problem arises.

> > Fifth, there is another problem with emacs, but this problem is not
> > anew. Starting a new emacsclient window thatwindow protrudes into
> > the next viewport at the bottom. Consequently i have to move it
> > upwards. This is a bit annoying.
>
> You may try  to clear the window-history for Emacs (on the last
> instance of it) and make sure sawfish remebers the position. Also make
> sure that the window whichs position you rember is also fully in the
> viewport when unmaximized, the issue should be gone then.

I've now solved this problem. It was a configuration problem. To your
information: I use 'first fit' as the placing method. (BTW: 'best fit'
doesn't show this behavior.)

I suppose that history is the german 'Chronik' within window rules.
Now I've set there (freely translated from german) 'remember window
sizes automatically'. This solves the problem. So it was my fault.

To my excuse: There are so many possibilities to tweak, that's
sometimes very difficult to understand what's going on. On the other
side it's the great strength of sawfish to configure nearly
everything. In the past the Gnome Team stopped supporting sawfish
because there were too many configure options. And they cut down also
their own system. So nowadays I use the gnome panel and all the rest is
done with sawfish. And that's great!

Regards
Gerhard Kirchmann <gerhardkmn yahoo de>