Re: unable to build sawfish

On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 05:21:34AM +0530, ritz wrote:
> Hello
>
>   I am unable to build sawfish 1.3.4 on Fedora9. build error message
> attached. anyone has any clue on what is happening here, and how this
> can be fixed ?
> cursors.o: In function `g_bit_nth_lsf':
> /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/gutils.h:320: multiple definition of `g_bit_nth_lsf'

I just build sawfish 1.3.4 on Fedora 9 and on a rawhide installation
for Fedora and nothing of that sort happened so I am not sure
where this is coming from and why.  It looks like that something
is misconfigured but no idea what.  My installations seem
to be pretty generic.

There are other "Fedora issues" though.  For reasons unclear to
me librep recompiled from librep-0.17.2-0.2.20081003svn.fc9.src.rpm
(grabbed from http://people.redhat.com/rkhadgar/personal/fedora/)
%{_libexecdir}/rep/ was moved to %{_libdir}/rep/.  That means
that sawish spec file changes depending on a version of librep
and this is not very nice and forces some strange dependencies.

Another "Fedora issue", or that is probably rather Gnome, shows
up in rawhide in a form in the following comment in
/usr/bin/gnome-wm:

#
# NOTE: DON'T USE THIS.  Please have your window manager install
# a desktop file and change the gconf key
# /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager

Fairly recently this was /apps/gnome-session/rh/window_manager
key.  Default values for both is 'metacity'.  That would be
not a big problem, though, if you want to try to run sawfish
as a Gnome window manager but simply seeting 'sawfish' as a value
of /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager
does not work.  I tried to provide a file similar to
/usr/share/gnome/wm-properties/metacity-wm.desktop
but this one called 'sawfish-wm.deskop' and with a content
modified according to my best guesses but this did not help
very much.  The best I got was no window manager started at
all (and then you can start sawfish).  The following

   pkill -f metacity && sawfish &

typed in a terminal window does work, though, even with 1.3.4
and that is how I know that what I compiled was not totally
out to lunch.

   Michal