Re: Title changes and titlebar updates

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 05:27:40PM +0100, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> On 22.01.2008 21:19, Harald van Dijk wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 11:17:19PM +0100, Harald van Dijk wrote:
> >> I've installed sawfish 1.3.2, but I seem to be having a problem with the
> >> netwm patch. When using the crux theme, the blue left part of the title
> >> bar is supposed to end after the title. This still mostly works, but
> >> when the title changes, the titlebar background does not get updated,
> [...]
> > from src/events.c (new with the netwm patch) it no longer gets executed.
> > I believe this can simply be removed, and the attached patch does so.
> > With this, sawfish updates the title bar properly again.
>
> Now that you point out the problem I noticed that I also had that after
> applying the Netwm patch, just never noticed. Your patch helps a bit. Most
> titlebars now display correctly. Just when switching tabs in the browser
> (SeaMonkey, but I suspect Firefox would be the same) to a page that would
> put UTF-8 chars in the titlebar, then it doesn't update correctly.

Since I run sawfish and firefox in an UTF-8 locale, I never had that
problem. I've tried running both in an en_US (ISO-8859-1) locale, and
then sawfish-1.3-cvs20060816 (codewise identical to 1.3.1) won't display
nonrepresentable titles, but sawfish-1.3.2 will display them without any
problem. That might be related to the fact that my titlebar font is a
pango font, though:
  (get-font-typed "pango" "Bitstream Vera Sans Bold 10")
I have had font problems with characters that weren't present in my font
until I switched to pango.