Re: Testing Net_wm_properties (was: Solution for UTF-8 chars in the title bar?)

Janek Kozicki said:     (by the date of Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:21:44 +0100)

> dpkg-reconfigure locales
>
> see if your default locale is utf8. Timo says that if it is, then all
> works even without a patch.

You can type command 'locale' in a terminal to see which locale you
currently have. Ok. I have just checked this:

For testing I used sawfish 1.3.1 from sid (it is easiest to just
apt-get source; fakeroot debian/rules binary ;) Then to apply the
Net_wm_properties patch I copied it into debian/patches and added it
to series.

So WITHOUT Net_wm_properties I got following:

If it's utf8 then:

  utf8 [1]
    + titlebars are working
    + window list titles are working
  iso2 [2]
    + titlebars are working
    - window list titles are NOT working
  windows-1251 [3]
    + titlebars with are working
    + window list title are working

(didn't test more codepages...)

without utf8 (LANG=pl_PL):
in sawfish 1.3.1

  utf8
    - titlebars are NOT working
    - window list titles are NOT working
  iso2 [1] (pl_PL)
    + titlebars are working
    - window list titles are NOT working
  windows-1251 [2] (just some other language/codepage ;)
    - titlebars with are NOT working
    - window list titles are NOT working

Then WITH Net_wm_properties I got following:

with utf8:

  utf8
    + titlebars are working
    + window list titles are working
  iso2 [1] (pl_PL)
    + titlebars are working
    - window list titles are NOT working
  windows-1251 [2] (just some other language/codepage ;)
    + titlebars with are working
    + window list titles are working

WITHOUT utf8 (LANG=pl_PL):

  utf8
    + titlebars are working
    + window list titles are working
  iso2 [1] (pl_PL)
    + titlebars are working
    - window list titles are NOT working
  windows-1251 [2] (just some other language/codepage ;)
    + titlebars with are working
    + window list titles are working

So in overall this patch IS an improvement. The only thing that never
works is a window list title for an iso2 webpage.

[1] used for testing: http://chinese.aol.com/

[2] used for testing: http://wiadomosci.polska.pl/
   the webpage has:
[3] I used http://russia.ru for testing

PS: to speed up the process I used a second X session and separate
  account ;) Just `startx -- :2` to run a new xsession that (after
  testing) you terminate with ctrl-alt-backspace as usual. Then logoff,
  change locale, login, again startx and so on.. :) While
  simultaneously writing this email on :1 session.