Re: Sawfish doesn't work properly with keybindings while using non-us keyboard layout

Alex Smirnov said:     (by the date of Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:46:14 +0500)

> Yes, in my opinion it's not really correct, because X server (in
> particular xkb) uses the same keysum for modifiers in any keyboard
> layout. So why sawfish distinguishes between them?

there is an extra layer over it - each keyboard symbol is assigned a
meaning. It's the meaning that changes when you change the keyboard
laout. Sawfish reads the meaning, not the position of the key on
the keyboard. Try running 'xev' and looking at the terminal output.
You will see what is the real difference between said keys.

> It's understood. But why it extends on modifiers (alt, hyper, etc.) keys?

It gives more power to the user. Simple example: I hate caps lock
key. Especially when I hit it by accident. So I've put in my X
startup this command: xmodmap -e "keycode 66 = Hyper_L"

And voila! Caps Lock is no more! Currently I have assigned to it
google dsktop quick search box.