Customizing "Run Shell command"

Hello!

I would like to make "run shell command" a little bit more friendly.
Currently, when one hits a key binding that runs a command, the program that
is launched will appear on whichever workspace is active when the program
connects to the X server. This may or may not be the workspace that was
active when I hit the key binding. This can be annoying sometimes. When I
wish to launch certain apps on certain workspaces, and while they take
seconds to load I would like to switch to other workspaces.

I would appreciate any advice on how this could be done, especially
considering I don't know anything about rep (or lisp in general). Or perhaps
someone has already done this. All comments welcome.

Thanks,
-Eric Mangold