Re: Rygel and DLNA

Thanks for the reply, Jens.

> That is a slightly different use-case. You can kind-of simulate it with
> gupnp-av-cp from gupnp-tools by setting the renderer to your device and
> browse rygel.

Yeah, at one point while experimenting I was able to do that and play files
on the device.

> > I have been able to have my laptop act as a media server (but only
> > using mediatomb, not Rygel) and make the receiver browse and play
> > particular files from the server.

I wasn't very clear here -- I can start Rygel, and the receiver recognizes it.
It just doesn't see any files, although I added a folder using rygel-preferences.
Is there something else I need to do as well in order to add files/folder to
serve? I did not change any of the rygel configuration files either.

> Can you provide:
> a) the version of rygel
> b) the versions of gssdp and gupnp
> c) a wireshark trace of a successful communication between the device
> and mediatomb and one between the device and rygel?

I'm using rygel 0.10.1, gssdp 0.8.0, gupnp 0.14.0. I'll open a bug report with
the wireshark trace soon, if I still can't get the files to show up on the
receiver using Rygel.

> As for streaming all audio: The PulseAudio support is somewhat
> complicated. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. One part of this
> problem is that you need to have the correct version of the PulseAudio
> plugin, the other is that PulseAudio does the final HTTP streaming
> itself, which then lacks the DLNA magic flags most of the devices rely
> on.

Hmm, I'll check with the PulseAudio people and see if we can add the flags to
PulseAudio. Otherwise I may have to settle with Airplay :(