Rygel and DLNA

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a DLNA-compliant stereo receiver (the Denon RCD-N7), and would like to send all audio from my computer to the receiver. I couldn't find much information on how to do this, except for some posts briefly mentioning using Rygel in conjunction with PulseAudio. This is feasible in the protocol, though, since people using Windows Media Player 12 are able to select the output device (such as a DLNA receiver or speakers) via a "Play To" option.

I have been able to have my laptop act as a media server (but only using mediatomb, not Rygel) and make the receiver browse and play particular files from the server. But what I really want is to stream *all* audio from the laptop. Is this something that can be done currently?

If DLNA is not a solution for my needs, would Apple Airplay work? I see that PulseAudio has a feature for "discovering" Airplay devices on the network, which seems to be precisely what I need. Has anyone gotten this to work? Perhaps I should ask this on the PulseAudio mailing list too. My receiver supports Airplay as well, but I need to pay extra $$$ to download the Airplay firmware. In any case I would prefer DLNA if it works.

Appreciate any info, and let me know if I can help with testing anything!

Thanks,

Aditya