Re: N900 package

Hello Guillaume!

I've built the old 0.4 (and before) packages based on the Debian packages.
I've been to busy to work out the packaging problems after that. If anyone
is interested to help out that would be greatly appreciated!
Something newer then the existing packages can be found in the maemo
branch of the debian rygel git repo at:
http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/rygel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/maemo
I have prepared 0.6 packages, but not finished testing them somewhere..
Will have to look where I put that... Maybe not as interesting now
that 0.8 is out.

A short description of the biggest challanges with packaging:
There's a need for newer versions of gupnp packages then what's available
in maemo. There's apparently no way for "outsiders" to update "official"
packages and updates are not allowed in the community repos either.
That's the reason for the private repository. Updating doesn't harm the
system as long as the ABI is managed properly in the libraries. (ie.
keep the ABI stable, or bump the SONAME.)
Newer rygel releases require newer (incompatible) versions of Tracker,
which is not available in maemo. This has been discussed with zeenix,
and the solution for the forseable future is probably to switch
to using the MediaExport backend instead of the Tracker backend.

Finally, I'd like to be able to promise updated packages soon but I think
it's better if I avoid making that promise. I'll simply say that
I'll try to find time to look into this as soon as possible.

--
Andreas Henriksson