Re: About the role of the Release (again)

On Mon, 2013-08-05 at 19:17 +0200, Piñeiro wrote:

IMHO, the first thing to debate if we are willing to expand our role and
scope, assuming that is what the Foundation members want us to do. If we
are, then let's ask the community if that is what they want. If not, we
should document with more detail what we are, what we do, and how far we
will go on our duties. I mention "how far" because that was raised by
Colin on our meeting here at GUADEC with the specific example of bluez
migration.

Yeah...though I do think for that one our best bet is to highlight both
the benefits of the transition (and the drawbacks).

"When there is a strong difference of opinion related to a change made
within a core GNOME module, the Release Team has the authority to serve
as mediator in the hopes of finding a solution which is agreeable to all
parties. Failing that, the Release Team has the authority to veto the
inclusion of the change in GNOME releases".

I think it's our role to *always* be involved to some degree.  Not that
anyone is full time, but I mean the job naturally involves mediation
since there are so many parts.

A lot hinges here on what "veto" means.  "git revert"?  Letting the
change stand in master and shipping an earlier branch?  I guess some
modules (mainly apps) could be dropped entirely.  And of course
ultimately, downstreams have their own veto.

How would we decide?  Would we vote?

I know that I mentioned at the meeting we should consider possibly
shipping earlier versions of things, but now that I consider it...there
are a lot of details.

Presently the release-team emits the modulesets with tarballs...so the
natural tendency would lead us to something like earlier releases in
there.  But if it's not a short term thing, then it's a fork, and that
leads us to the need for a git branch...but theoretically the
maintainers are in control of the git repository.