Re: GNOME 3.1.2 release post-mortem notes

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 01:11:11AM +0000, Piñeiro wrote:
> * It was delayed: don't know if it is usual, but some module releases
>   were made the same day of GNOME release, some of them asked by us
>   (ie gstreamer)

Seems normal due to all the issues.

> * Several maintainers are pissed off, some due last changes on glib,
>   others in general. Some extracts:

>    Jun 15 19:08:34 <__tim>    (but I'm unhappy that you guys aren't
> screaming at the glib maintainers a bit more, it seems it could be
> handled better)

Late minute API change = not good.

>   <snip>
>    Jun 16 18:02:29 <behdad>    I'm about to send mail about
> resigning from pango maintenance
>    Jun 16 18:02:43 <behdad>    it's just so much pain these days,
> for little joy
>    Jun 16 18:03:02 *    behdad misses good old days where "make
> distcheck" worked everyday...

That seems like change for change sake. Not good.

> * Some (specifically Owen Taylor) questioned the need of those early
> 3.1.x releases.

It is to make developers aware that they cannot go too overboard with
development :-)

> * mx conclusion. Totem has a dependency with mx. So although included
>   on the release, I skipped it on the jbuildrc file. Some kind on
>   conclusion about mx is required:

hmmm...

> * Not really relevant, we can call it the release of
>   UG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED, as I needed to add
>   "module_makeargs['xxxmodule'] = makeargs +
>   'CFLAGS+="-UG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED"' to 20 different modules, mostly
>   this missing pango release fixing it.

That's as there is some DISABLE_DEPRECATED in the released tarballs, no?
IMO we should remove such things from tarballs.

--
Regards,
Olav