Re: Team updates needed for the 2009 Q4 GNOME Quarterly Report

Le lundi 04 janvier 2010, à 16:10 -0700, Stormy Peters a écrit :
> Thanks everyone for your help with the Q2 & Q3 report - we continue to get
> positive feedback about the quarterly reports! It's time for Q4,
> October-December 2009.
>
> I'm a bit behind with my reminders - sorry about that. Would it be possible
> for everyone to get updates in by Monday, January 11th?  I will then get the
> report out by Friday, January 16th.

Here's a release team report (late as always, apologies). I didn't have
time to send a first draft to the r-t mailing list, so I'm doing it at
the same time :-)

Release Team: feel free to propose changes!

Cheers,

Vincent

===================

The last quarter of 2009 started just after the release of GNOME 2.28,
and therefore the release team could enjoy a (short) break where there
were no release to handle for one month.

Of course, this did not last long: between the end of October and the
end of December, two stable releases of 2.28 went out, and the 2.29
development cycle lead to four releases, the last one arriving just in
time for the holidays! The GNOME community has been working hard and the
2.29 releases have many interesting changes, ranging from new features
(look at the latest nautilus!) to architectural work needed for GNOME
3.0 (like evolution without bonobo).

On the GNOME 3.0 front, the release team asked for feedback about when
to release GNOME 3.0 in 2010: March or September. The 3.0 planning
document was suggesting March with no hard commitment, and the answers
from the various teams in the community made it clear that six more
months would make a big difference to fulfill the plans. It was agreed
to target September, and we worked on an official announcement for the
3.0 release date. The release schedule was adapted accordingly.

In parallel to the 3.0 discussions, we evaluated the modules proposed
for inclusion during the 2.29 development cycle. Based on feedback from
the community, the timeline for new module proposals was modified back
in Q3 to have the decisions published earlier -- in November instead of
January, in this case. This change should help getting more work done
for integration of the accepted modules, and should contribute to our
long-standing tradition of high-quality releases. For 2.30,
gnome-packagekit and nautilus-sendto will be included in the desktop,
and we accepted two exciting projects, tracker and vala, as external
dependencies. The release team also wanted to have clutter become part
of the desktop (as a potential first step towards the platform), but
some discussion about copyright assignments blocked the decision; the
help of the GNOME Foundation was requested to determine what should be
the next steps there. The GNOME Foundation Board is actively working on
this topic.

2010 will of course be the year of GNOME 3.0, and this will be quite
visible in the activities of the release team. While the first quarter
will most likely see a lot of focus on getting GNOME 2.30 out, we expect
to see a big push for 3.0-related activities at the same time.