Meeting minutes (May 10th)

Wow, I didn't realize I was so late for the minutes. Apologies for this.

The short summary: fredp and lucasr have action items :-)

Vincent

=========================

Attendance
==========
Present:
 Andre Klapper (andre)
 Frederic Crozat (fcrozat)
 Frederic Peters (fpeters)
 Karsten Bräckelmann (guenther)
 Lucas Rocha (lucasr)
 Matthias Clasen (mclasen)
 Vincent Untz (vuntz) -- taking minutes

Missing:
 Kjartan Maraas (kmaraas)
 Olav Vitters (bkor)

Agenda
======
 + release team membership changes
 + looking back at the 2.26 cycle
 + release assignments
 + platform cleanup status
 + 3.0 roadmapping

ACTIONS
=======

Andre:
 + announce libglade deprecation (DONE)

FrédéricP:
 + discuss with Gustavo a plan for gnome-python and deprecated part of
   the platform
 + mail binding maintainers with potential options to remove deprecated
   API (separate module, --disable-deprecated, deprecating warning at
   runtime, mentions in release announcements)

Lucas:
 + setup initial wiki page for 3.0 roadmap
 + maybe announce the roadmap process change for 2.28 & 3.0

Release Team membership changes
===============================

Everybody is happy to continue his share of work in the release team for
the next cycle.

Looking back at the 2.26 cycle
==============================

There were mainly two things:

 + the session saving got in late. Maintainers were guilty there.

 + module inclusion decision coming too late during the cycle
   - this was initially a comment from Bastien
   - andre mentions this has been changed for 2.29 already and we should
     probably keep the change
   - discussion on why we take so long: we're waiting for feedback and
     improvements in the modules
   - two potential solutions to make the decision process a bit easier:
     * really make sure a module gets proposed when it's ready (modulo
       the integration with other modules)
     * open the module proposal period earlier (between .90 and .92),
       and then announce the decision between .1 and .3
   - lucasr notes that it's a good thing to have one announcement with
     all decisions, instead of fragmented decisions where we'd
     accept/reject a module from time to time

Release assignments
===================

 May 20 2.26.2  vuntz
 May 27 2.27.2  lucasr
 Jun 17 2.27.3  fcrozat
 Jun 29 2.26.3  lucasr
 Jul 15 2.27.4  fredp
 Jul 29 2.27.5  vuntz
 Aug 12 2.27.90 fcrozat
 Aug 26 2.27.91 fredp
 Sep 09 2.27.92 vuntz

Matthias missed the part where we assigned release and mentioned he
could do one if someone wants to get rid of one.

Platform cleanup status
=======================

Andre sent a mail abut this:
 http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2009-May/msg00174.html

One issue is the session management:
 + people copy EggSmClient to get rid of libgnome
 + ideally, GTK+ bug 79285 would get fixed
 + mclasen notes that the GTK+ part depends on dbus support in glib
 + this should be ready for 3.0 (so early 2.29)

Another issue is deprecation in bindings: gnomeprint and gnome-vfs are
deprecated in the platform but still in the python and mono bindings.
Gustavo proposed a solution for gnome-python:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2009-April/msg00437.html
It appears creating a separate module is not his prefered solution.
fredp mentions the DeprecationWarning warning support in python, and the
option of a --disable-deprecated-modules configure flag.

We agree to officially deprecate libglade.

3.0 roadmapping
===============

Lucas proposes to create a simple process based on topics/goals, where
we'd have a wiki page with milestones for each topic/goal. There
wouldn't be a roadmap call for each module, so we can focus on the big
picture. This would bring more visibility and make it easier to check
the status.

Some examples:
 + new website could be part of the marketing goal
 + mallard could be part of "revamp help system" goal

People agreed on the idea, and to focus on this, we drop the current
roadmap process for 2.28 and 3.0.

Next meeting

Hopefully, a GUADEC meeting will be possible. A meeting is already
scheduled for end of July for the module decisions, but having most work
done during GUADEC would probably be a good thing.

Already proposed agenda items for next meeting:
 + Discuss whether to open call for new modules for 2.29 around 2.27.90