Re: Thumbnail purging in g-s-d

Hi Jens,

Le mardi 25 mars 2008, à 21:53 +0100, Jens Granseuer a écrit :
> Hya,
>
> I'd like to get the r-t's collected opinions on whether we could
> include thumbnail cache purging [1] in the next stable release of
> gnome-settings-daemon. Technically, this would be a feature freeze
> break.
>
> The patch just adds a (relatively small and simple) plugin to g-s-d
> [2]. The plugin basically runs a few minutes after the session starts,
> and once per day afterwards, and prunes old thumbnails (>60 days by
> default) from the user's thumbnail cache (~/.thumbnails) or cuts it
> down to the configured size (defaults to 64 MB).
>
> There is evidence [3] of performance issues when the thumbnail cache
> gets too big. While this change doesn't fix (all of) the underlying
> problems, it does help to keep the user's home nice and tidy.
>
> We could even have the plugin disabled by default which would result
> in zero effect on users who don't enable it explicitly. I'd prefer to
> enable it, though.

I'm reluctant to have it committed and enabled by default because it's
something where we'd need feedback from testers (which is something we
usually get thanks to the development version of various distros during
our development cycle). Maybe there is some side-effect because of this?

I didn't look at the patch, but if committing it means adding new
strings, then it's going to be hard to convince translators...

FWIW, I'm not really sure it makes sense to commit it disabled.

What's the opinion of other release team members?