Re: archive:// support in stable (was: Feature and string break request)

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 01:38:35PM +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> so we discuss including support for the archive:// handler in the stable
> 2.22.x series. there's arguments for and against this.
> let me try to summarize and list some stuff from irc today:
>
>       * the underlying archive backend is already in gvfs stable.
>       * adding support for this is "just" a desktop file (this also
>         means: if people want to test it, they can create the desktop
>         file and they're done).
>       * it can deprecate file-roller usage for many people who don't
>         write in archives. can be a good thing, but not necessarily in a
>         stable release.
>       * it adds one new string ("Archive Mounter").
>       * distros can disable it by --disable-archive.
>       * introduces a new gvfs dependency on libarchive.
>
> technically spoken, 2.22.0 did not have the stability that other
> "stable" gnome releases had because of many late changes and regression
> fixes, so the "stable" argumentation does not fit for gvfs-related
> stuff.
> feature-wise spoken, 2.22.0 is as feature-frozen as other stable series'
> releases, so the "stable" argumentation fits here.
>
> now please other r-t members think of it and come to a pro or con
> conclusion within the next days. :)
>
> i myself have become less risk-avers in the last months now that we
> pushed libsoup 2.4 (though being criticized by a few affected
> maintainers for porting that late to a new API). to me it's sometimes a
> question of making the gnome platform more attractive and to keep the
> momentum we have hacking on gvfs/gio, so i tend to agree getting this in
> for 2.22.1.

Pro: Agree with latter.
Con: However, conflicts with the normal testing phase you would have.

> i'd however like to see other r-t members' opinions before we announce a
> final "yes" or "no".

Con: Means behavioral change. Clicking on those things
suddenly does something different than before.

I want to test this locally. My usual file-roller experience is limited
to 'right click -> extract archive'. I'd like archive:// to have a
button to start a more specific app (meaning: somehow shows file-roller
without hard coding it).
I'd agree with the change if it had such a button, plus after testing.

--
Regards,
Olav