GtkSourceView 2 and PyGtkSourceView

Now that a test release of gedit makes use of it, I though it would be a
good time to send the release team some clarifications about the next
gtksourceview version. If you think this mail also belongs to other
mailing lists, please tell me.

I should have probably sent this before, but it was not really clear if
a gedit port to the new sourceview widget would have happened in time...

The next GtkSourceView release will be 2.0.0 and will break api and abi
compatibility with the current 1.X versions, though api churn has been
kept to a minimum to ease porting.

The library is parallel installable with the current 1.X series.

gtksourceview is part of the desktop suite and as far as I know the only
application part of the release using it is gedit that has now been
ported. That said there are plenty of third party apps using it (anjuta,
MonoDevelop, meld and others), so I think that for now both the 1.X
version and the 2.0 version should be part of the release.

PyGtkSourceView are the python bindings for the gtksourceview2 library,
they technically are a new module, but python bindings for gtksourceview
were already part of the release suite, they just have been split into
their own module for maintainance reason. Do we need any special
procedures to have this module included? gedit makes use of it...

Note also that gnome-python-desktop will continue to hold the python
bindings for version 1 on gtksourceview.

I am not aware of any other bindings for gtksourceview 2 yet.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

ciao
	Paolo