Re: GStreamer

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 17:50 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> On 3/12/06, Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas apestaart org> wrote:
> > Hi people,
> >
> > Silly question - which (0.10) version of GStreamer modules do you want
> > to see go in ? The latest and greatest, or the last one before the code
> > freeze ?
> >
> > I don't know if this is an issue or not, and if we are under the spell
> > of code freeze at all, but if we are, what's the correct way to proceed
> > here ?
>
> At this point we pretty much have to take your word for it that you
> have robust QA processes- do you or don't you? :) If you do, latest,
> otherwise, previous. Up to you, really.

Ye gods :) If I were to say I didn't have them I'd look pretty bad now
wouldn't I ? OTOH, I may not be the best judge of the robustness of our
QA processes.

Here's what I do to get stuff tested:
- I locally have a whole directory that keeps tagged checkouts of all
modules involved - so that I'm always testing against released versions
of everything in the stack
- I update the module about to be released to head
- I run an extensive automatic media test suite that typefinds and plays
all the files I give it (I think there are about a hundred of them in
the one I test all the time)
- This media test shows me regressions from previous releases
- I don't release until all these regressions get fixed

This has helped me catch a few bugs once in a while before releasing.

Meanwhile, I make preleleases that I ask feedback on from people, and I
package them immediately for FC4 and distribute them from our website.

This has worked very well for us, but I don't know if it qualifies as
robust.

For example, a bug crept in right before doing prereleases (playing
files from NFS are treated as non-seekable because of how gnome-vfs
works) of gst-plugins-base, and the bug only got found out after doing
the release.  That's why I'm doing a 0.10.5 release of it today.  Your
call if this speaks against our QA process for not catching the bug in
the first place, or for us because we are quick in fixing it.

Here's what I'll do - I'll go over the list of bugs fixed between the
previous version and the current, and comment on whether any of them
seem important enough for GNOME.  Maybe that helps in deciding ?

Thomas

I was about to have my first sexual experience
and I wasn't even one of the players...